Monday, December 24, 2007

iHear and trying out Noise canceling headphones

iHear and trying out Noise canceling headphones
by Dr. Eric Flescher, Olathe, KS (dreric1kansas@aol.com)
Staff Writer at macCompanion Magazine (http://www.maccompanion.com/)

I like my Koss (non canceling ) headphones. But I was interested in some more fidelity and obtaining some audio canceling power to use on jets (to cut the noise). Also I wanted to musically ehance my music while playing my collection on my Imac and iTunes.

I have seen the commercials and the ads about the Bose Quiet Comfort 3 ones. I figured because they never say the price and do installments, well its pricey and out of my budget for headphones. I was right they are over $300. Hey I would like to use the money for an iPhone someday. But I was still looking for canceling power and quality at a budget price.

I have lost some of my hearing (high end) and wear hearing aids when teaching, social stuff etc. My hearing is not that far enough (well talk to my wife though). I wanted to hear more fidelity, use the phones when traveling on jets and possibly cutting down some of the noise, playing my music in more sound ambient environment.

I am pretty good at goggling and found some links. I found some instantly at CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-7877_7-229-104.html

They had pricey ones from $100 to the Bose.

I found this page had
Logitech Noise Canceling Headphones.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/logitech-noise-canceling-headphones/4505-7877_7-31797806.html?tag=txt

But how could the price vary so much ($39.97 - $183.95)? But this would not do as I read “The bad: The Logitech Noise Canceling Headphones can be
uncomfortable after an hour or so of use; the noise-canceling feature noticeably processes music, though not necessarily in a bad way (depending on your taste). “

I wanted something comfortable around or on the ear. Next please!

Consumer search had some interesting stuff. There were pricey ones and this one caught my eye.

Best value, full-size headphones.
“The Grado SR60 score points in reviews where it counts – sound quality, including bass reproduction. The Grado SR60 headphones have a huge following among music lovers, who say they're great companions to an iPod. “

But they “leak” sound. I won’t use them as I don’t (gasp) have an iPod. I listen to other things and look at then went I work out at the gym at the JCC. But they leak noise so no. Next.

On the PC mag link, I found some interesting facts and information written by Tim Gideon, the Lead Audio and Video Analyst for PC Magazine.
http://www.pcmag.com/author_bio/0,1908,a=3895,00.asp

I liked the very personable style of his writing and information that I wanted to “hear”. Unlike my musically inclined children (my son is Junior Percussion major at Juliard in NYC and my daughter works for music record and sound industry in NYC too) I never have played an instrument (hey I can play Batman on the piano and cool jerk).

I do like listening to my music (I love Moody Blues finding new music and working with garageband and etc for my videos.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2120964,00.asp

I wanted to know how canceling helps not just plugging the ears (earbuds) which has and does got concern. He noted
“ Noise cancellation ... is achieved actively, using circuitry that monitors surrounding ambient sound and produces an inverse wave, to cancel it out. “

Well he uses the Bose which is out of my price range. But what else did he list? I was getting closer when I read that he liked the more affordable (cheaper).

Recommended were the JVC HA-NC80-J/-C alternative and the
Sony MDR-NC22

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2113467,00.asp

But these use earbuds and there are other inconveniences. These two models however are less impressive in the cancellation department (but still good) but have more bass than you'd expect for $100. Not bad but I don’t want earbuds. But I was closer possibly then I thought. I was interested if there was a Sony version that I saw at Radio Shack.

I was a little surprised there was this Sony model at Radio Shack.
http://www.winbuyer.com/cat-418/keyword-Sony%20mdr-nc6/init-1/D-10122007/C-Type1_1/pid-22714717/?c=8100418&gclid=CNGu4N7AwpACFQqiQQod81mXPQ

I’ve bought material from Radio Shack to buy stuff to make my robots, thermistors for chemical and electrical experiments and more for years. You could pay less at Overstock but I wanted to try them now. The other local chains may have them but they had them at my local radio Shack for about $50 (most have this price). It was rated from 3/5 to 5/5 so I thought I would try them.

First I tried them in the store. ( I recommend doing this). They were not earbuds but a thick pad fitted on to my ears (no around). While I was really look for an around the ear like my Koss, this sounded very good and felt very comfortable.

At home, I inserted the A battery into the little compartment on one side of the head gear part. I turned on my my Imac and loaded my iTunes. I was pleased with the fidelity and could hear more of the sounds. Some of the TV downstairs was blocked out to a greater extent. Maybe I felt more immersed. The base part was great and I felt more surrounded by my music.

I decided to write about my experience for you all. Let me know what you think about your headphones and whether you use head canceling phones (this model or others).

Dr. Eric Flescher, Olathe, KS(dreric1kansas@aol.com): DrEric1MacNews/Macsightings Blog : http://dreric1macnewsmacsightings.blogspot.com/ : editor MacsU.N.I.T.E. ( MacIntosh Users Network for Integrating Technology into Education):(Subscribe send email to :macsunitsubscribe@egroups.com)
Staff Writer at macCompanion Magazine (http://www.maccompanion.com/); moderator
macintoshvideo@yahoogroups.com- to subscribe
macintoshvideo-subscribe@yahoogroups.com; editor TechU.N.I.T.E. (Subscribe send email to PC version TechU.N.I.T.E.: to subscribe send email to techunite-subscribe@egroups.com

No comments: